Increased global demand, resource scarcity, price fluctuation, market deregulation and new technologies are affecting the traditional production and distribution of energy and power. Market participants need a law firm with a depth of expertise in areas that can help address these challenges.
Our firm’s energy team is integrated across practice areas to advise companies, utilities, project developers, municipalities, landowners, investors and other energy industry participants in critical aspects of their business.
Oil and Gas
We have experience in reviewing and analyzing oil and gas leases on behalf of real estate owners, including leases for shale gas production.
We advise developers, municipalities and landowners regarding site acquisition, bank and municipal financing and regulatory compliance for renewable projects including wind, solar and biomass.
Utility Regulation and Litigation
Our team has represented the following:
- Industrial and agricultural energy consumers
- Pipelines, landowners, gas marketers
- Independent power producers
- Qualifying facility cogenerators
We have represented applicants and interveners in a wide variety of regulatory proceedings including:
- Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity applications
- Rate cases
- Tariff revisions
- Promotional practice matters
- Integrated resource planning
- Nuclear decommissioning
- Financing application
- Show cause orders
- Merger and acquisition applications
- Interconnection agreement rulemakings
- Generic policy dockets
Our clients include both landowners and common carriers regarding right-of-way acquisitions and eminent domain. Our deep experience also includes advising on alternative energy easements such as solar leases.
Examples of representative matters in our utility regulation and litigation practice include the following:
- Right-of-way acquisition for natural gas gathering system
- Advised pipeline company on Arkansas regulatory and environmental licenses and permits
- Obtained navigable river crossing permits for interstate gas line
- Represented owner of iconic architectural site in electric transmission line siting application
- Represented industrial customers in obtaining exemption from utility energy efficiency charges
We represent regional and national energy companies in their sales and asset transfers, operation and conversion of business operations, in addition to regulatory compliance and review.
Our clients benefit from a team and cross-disciplinary approach combining the following:
- Real estate title issues and disputes
- Tax planning
- Energy credits
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Labor relations
We assist in responsive day-to-day and emergency management, reporting and defense. Among the varied areas of energy transactions include:
- Regional acquisitions and dispositions of energy and natural resource companies and assets
- Condemnation acquisitions, negotiations and litigated solutions for pipelines
- Review of environmental features, permitting, transfer and compliance
- Federal and state tax advice, including tax incentives; sales and use tax analysis and energy tax credits
- Easements and Rights of Way